EX COMMISSIONER ERO, SETS TO FREE EDO PRISONERS TO COMMEMORATE ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY.


 Former Edo State commissioner for art culture, tourism and diaspora affairs hon. Osazee Odemwingie Ero has put all measures in place to free hundreds of Edo prisoners who have been convicted for minior offences and been given the option of fine.

 The publication was however made available to ERIBO NEWS FIELD   through a social media post from the personal Facebook account of the ex commissioner, 

where he stated that the  exercise is to mark his freedom from the unjust and illegal incarceration in the hand of the Italian government. 

The former commissioner also made it known that the whole procedures to be adopted will be monitored by government agencies and NGOs, who shall have an agreement with the prisoners to be freed, thereafter monitor  their well being and incorporation  into the society. 

In the post;

"EX EDO COMMISSIONER ERO, FREEING EDO PRISONERS TO COMMEMORATE ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF MY FREEDOM.


I want to thank you again for all your support during and after my incarceration in Italy. I am most grateful. 

This month of May 29th will make it one year since my release and vindication. To 

commemorate my first one year of freedom from the injustice meted out to me and to keep in view the plight and fate of many Nigerians still languishing in 

Maximum security prisons in Italy, I have decided to extend a hand of freedom to 

some people in Edo state who have been incarcerated for minor offences and 

given the option of "paying a fine" but cannot afford the money. 

I visited the Comptroller of Correctional Services in Edo State who testified that it is 

disheartening to know that people are incarcerated for not being able to pay fines as 

small as 50,000 Naira or given up to three years in prison.

To this end I have decided to raise the sum of Two Million Naira to help free a minimum of 20 Edo citizens incarcerated because they cannot afford to pay the fines imposed on them by the state. 

This is with a view to giving these persons the opportunity to be reunited with their 

families. So many children and families are suffering, going through the agony of 

being separated from their loved ones because of situations like this.


This is sometimes due to injustice because of their status. Having passed through the ordeal I passed through in the hands of the Italian justice system, I am now better placed to understand this situation too well.

.All these people have to do is promise us they will be good citizens of Edo State once they regain their freedom. We will also partner with the relevant government 

agencies and NGOs to ensure these persons are gainfuly employed and re￾integrated back into the society.

Once again, I cannot stop thanking you for your support and prayers and how it made it possible for me to be free. But for your support, prayers and good wishes, I 

would have been languishing in Prison for crimes I did not commit. 

Our #justice4innocentNigerians campaign, including the protest in Lagos and 

London Italian Embassies has enabled over 56 Nigerians to regain their freedoms in Italy and that effort is still ongoing. 

Freeing Edo citizens as a way of celebrating the anniversary of our efforts towards freedom is what I want to do. 

I cannot do this alone hence I am soliciting your immense support to achieve this purpose. 



Thank you so much in advance for your kindness and support."


Eribonewsfield.blogspot.com

Comments